Damage to your hair can happen in many different ways. Essentially it all boils down to how you treat your hair! I am a firm believer that if you take care of your scalp and hair they will take care of you and you will be able to see the results of your dedication.
1. Blow drying- on HELL!!! It does not take a lot of heat to get your hair straight! I promise!!! Check the temperature. I normally like to blow dry my hair on medium heat, high air flow.
2. Bobby Pins- they should not stab you in the scalp, or be so tight they make your scalp tingle. These are clear indications that it's too tight- no hairstyle is worth damaging your scalp!
3. Elastic bands (hair ties) when you secure your hair with a elastic band- it should not be so tight that it looks like your ponytail is about to "pop off" ! You can have a sleek ponytail without all the pressure! I found these really nice rubber hair ties from Walgreens that were pretty inexpensive. They work great, and are very gentle on your scalp and hair.
4. Brushes/Combs- they are too rough and can rip out your hair, if your tugging to get the comb or brush through your hair it is not the right tool for you. Over the past couple of months i've found that finger detangling works amazing for my hair. It takes a lot of patience to do, but it's better to take the time and finger detangle, then rip all of your hair out with a brush or comb.
5. Tight hair styles- I love a great braid but not at the expensive of my scalp. If someone is braiding your hair- and you walk away looking like another race... its too tight!! loosen up ladies!!!
6. Stress- stress not only shows up in your health -it also has the same effect on your hair. Your hair is in direct collation to what is happening in your body. Happy body-happy hair!
7. Hair color- I love a cute hair color just know it strips your hair of its essential oils and nutrients so you have to replace them. This means weekly deep conditioners and extra care with your hair- as it may be hard and brittle.